The Design Process
We will start with an initial meeting where we will go through the design process for your project. The first consultation is free (within the Christchurch area). Once I have seen the area to design, I can quote on the design work required.
Preparing for your design brief
Once you are ready to embark on your new kitchen project I will have a few questions for you before I start designing:
Kitchen Design Questions:
- How many are in the family that cook?
- How often do you entertain?
- What are the appliances and sizes you would like in your new kitchen
- Disadvantages and advantages of your existing kitchen
- Storage systems you would like for crockery, plastics, small appliances
- Bench top product and heights
- Style of kitchen cabinetry – contemporary, traditional etc.
- Do you like the idea of a scullery if there is space?
Laundry Design Questions:
- Do you require pull-out storage systems?
- Storage for brooms, ironing boards, clothes rack
- Size of your appliances – washing machine and dryer
- Would you need a hanging area?
- Storage for cleaning products?
Bathroom Design Questions
- Do you require a bath in the main bathroom or en-suite?
- Size of shower areas?
- Does the toilet need to be in a separate room or partitioned?
- Flooring – tiles, timber or other?
- Walls – tiled to ceiling?
- How many vanity basins?
- Style of basins – recessed, semi-recessed? Round, oval or square?
Walk in Wardrobe:
- The size of your existing wardrobe
- How many drawers do you require?
- Half hanging and tall hanging spaces
- Amount of shoes, handbags, hats etc
- Style of wardrobe
Other interiors – lounge units, TV units etc
- Size of TV
- Storage of books
- Children’s games and toys
- Amount of DVD’s CD’s etc
There is a lot to consider as well you may be aware, but these questions will help when we first meet. Having a look through magazines or Google images gives you a feel of styles, ways of storage etc.
This is a time to enjoy not to be stressed.